By now, you’ve probably heard the news: It costs much more to acquire a new customer than it does to retain a client you already work with. In fact, the probability of selling to an existing customer is as high as 60 to 70 percent according to ClickZ.
With that in mind, below are few tips to help you KEEP your existing clients this AEP:
- Be the first to make contact. Don’t allow time for other agents to get their foot in the door. If you haven’t already done so, get your retention letter in the mail and place a follow up call to schedule an appointment at the beginning of the AEP window.
- Reply with speed. According to LeadSImple.com, fast response time makes all the difference in selling. If a client calls you, try to return the call within five minutes. The first five minutes is the golden window and gives you a huge advantage. Whatever you do, don’t let a day pass by. Get back to clients and prospects immediately.
- Know what you’re going to say BEFORE you call. Good introductions can make a huge difference in your success. Use this formula from SellingPower to craft a SWIFT intro. SWIFT is the acronym for So, What’s in it for Them?
- Be professional even if they already know you. Of course, be friendly and personable, but don’t slack. Even if you’ve know the customer for a long time, you need to be prepared, put your best foot forward and present well. If you don’t make a good impression, someone else might. Never let the clients feel like you take them for granted.
- Remember “YOU” and “YOUR” are the most effective words in advertising. Thankfully, you don’t need a hard-pressure sales pitch to be successful. You just need to ask your clients questions – using the words You and Your – and then listen well. For example: What do YOU like most about your current plan? What are YOUR reservations about YOUR current carrier? What are YOUR must-haves in any future plan?
- Care more. If you ask the most successful people their secret, they’ll inevitably tell you that they care more. When you care, clients can tell. In the words of Maya Angelou, “People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- Communicate frequently. In general, most sales happen between the eighth and twelfth follow up. No kidding! This timeline is shorter in Medicare because the AEP window is limited. Nevertheless, you should follow up politely and repetitively. If clients don’t reach a decision, they may be confused. A confused mind never buys. Go back to #5 and ask questions. Find out what’s stalling the decision.
- Enroll quickly. Once you get a green light from your client, don’t delay. Use online enrollment tools (if possible) to quickly submit all the needed forms. Confirm every step of the process with clients, so they know what’s happening and they feel confident that nothing is slipping through the cracks.
- Say thank you … twice. Thank your client verbally and follow up with a written thank you note with a few business cards enclosed. This is an important step that will position you well for next AEP.
- Get help when you need it. Last but not least, remember that you’re never alone. The team at PTT Financial is here to support you every step of the way. If you have any questions, at any time, contact us.